Topper talk with Ashwini Nene, who scored 100% in GRE

Submitted by spicygirl on Sun, 04/07/2013 - 21:20

Ashwini Nene is one of the few students in the world to have obtained a 100% score in GRE. She shares her success mantra with Anishaa Sahijwala

How was your GRE exam experience?

I started in August 2012 and the preparation continued till March 2013. Since I took several practice tests, I was well-prepared . The actual examination went off well. The sections kept getting tougher, but with practice, I was confident that I would do well. I was a little nervous before the examination, but my seven-month long preparation helped me stay calm.

What was your strategy to develop a good vocabulary?

Understanding the meaning of words in various contexts is very important. And to understand the contexts, it is important to read. Since I am an avid reader, vocabulary was not really an issue. I knew about 50-60 % of the words.

You aced the verbal section. How did you prepare for the same?

For those who want to score well in the verbal section, reading books of various genres is a must. Since the time limit for the verbal section is 40 minutes, and the number of questions many, it is important to solve mock test papers when preparing for the exam. Three key elements to ace the verbal section include understanding the concept , applying the strategy correctly and completing the section on time.

The quantitative reasoning section is considered to be difficult. How did you prepare?

I am an engineer who had math as a subject throughout. Hence, understanding concepts was easy. The quantitative reasoning section is all about concept-application and time management. Since the section is allotted 45 minutes and the level of questions asked is advanced, it is important for students to pay attention to the details of a question in a given time frame. This comes with ample practice.

The 'analytical writing' section measures the applicant's ability to articulate and support complex ideas. Does one have to prepare for it well in advance or is it impromptu?

I prepared for this section from the very beginning. It is much better to prepare in advance since the grading system is strict. I wrote a number of essays and had them checked by my teachers. The catch behind scoring well here is to be able to develop ideas, write well and also give a logical reason to it.

Your advice to students preparing for GRE.

Every student is different and so is their academic approach. It is important to identify problem areas, whether in the verbal or math section and work on them from scratch. Most importantly, have a structure to your preparation where you allot time, based on your strengths and weaknesses. Also, start early. Do not cram your preparation timetable all in a month or two. Prepare yourself over a longer period and you will sail through the exam.

Forums