News in Detail

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News in Detail

1. True or False Questions.
(1)
Daniloff had been detained in Moscow for thirty-one days.
(2)
He was facing possible trial on espionage charges after he was arrested in Moscow.
(3)
Daniloff left Moscow only a few days after Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Shevardnadzemet.
(4)
Before the release of Daniloff the two sides already had four negotiation sessions concerning the fate of the Russian scientist Gennadi Zakharov.

2. Choose the best answer (a. b. c. or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) Reporters ______________ first got wind that Daniloff might be freed.

a. in Moscow who had been keeping an eye on the American Embassy b. in New York who had been keeping an eye on the Soviet UN Mission c. in New York who had been keeping track of the meeting between the leaders of the two countries. d. in Moscow who had been reporting on the prospects for a Soviet-American summit
(2) It has been suggested that Zakharov might be released in exchange for ____________. a. one or more detained American journalists b. one or more expelled Soviet diplomats c. one or more Soviet dissidents d. one or more jailed Soviet UN Mission personnel
(3) The Sovies have threatened to retaliate if ______________. a. Zakharov is not released b. The Soviet UN Mission personnel are not allowed to remain in their posts c. Zakharov is brought to trial in Brooklyn d. The order to expel Soviet diplomats is not repealed

3. Focusing on Details. Fill in the detailed information according to what you have heard on the tape.
(1) Daniloff
    "I was arrested without
. A case was
me with a
of giving the Soviet Union
over the case of
in New York."
(2) Questions that still remain about the specific agreements between the two countries:
    a. What will happen to
Gennadi Zakharov whose
last month in New York for
led to
?
    b. Has Daniloff's release today brought
and
any closer to
?

4. Spot Dictation. Listen to the tape again and fill in the following blanks.
    Secretary Shultz has said that
without Daniloff
. That has now
as
to a summit, but the Soviets have called
and the matter of the
Soviet
obstacles to a summit as well.

Listening answers

News in Detail

1. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)

(1) Daniloff
    "I was arrested without
. A case was
me with a
of giving the Soviet Union
over the case of
in New York."
    a. What will happen to
Gennadi Zakharov whose
last month in New York for
led to
?
    b. Has Daniloff's release today brought
and
any closer to
?

Secretary Shultz has said that
without Daniloff
. That has now
as
and the matter of the
Soviet
obstacles to a summit as well.