Special Report

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

Special Report

1. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) Wole Soyinka is the ___________ African and the ___________ black to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

a. second; first b. first; first c. first; second d. second; second
(2) Wole Soyinka is in Paris to attend a meeting of the International Theatre Institute _________. a. at the UN headquarters b. at UNESCO headquarters c. at UNHCR headquarters d. at UNICEF headquaters
(3) Wole Soyinka believes that it is __________ to compare works of literature from different cultures. a. very difficult b. absolutely impossible c. almost impossible d. quite easy
(4) In the history of the world, many writers ended up writing in _____________. a. an African native language b. Yoruba c. Arabic or Bulgarian d. a language other than their first language
(5) Wole Soyinka was ____________ that the crowd of reporters stopped him from attending his meeting today. a. angry b. annoyed c. happy d. excited

2. Focusing on Details. Complete the following biographical information concerning Wole Soyinka.
(1) Name: Wole Soyinka
(2) Age:
years old
(3) Experience:
  a. 1950s: studied
in
  b. 1960s: formed
in
(4) Literary work:
  a. the language in which he writes:
  b. his works have been translated into:
,
,
,
, and
languages
  c. his best known work in the US:
, his

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
Wole Soyinka was not well prepared for the news conference because he was too busy attending the UNESCO meeting.
(2)
Wole Soyinka believes that the Nobel Prize for Literature is not only for himself, but for all the African writers.
(3)
Wole Soyinka regards himself as a poet above all else.
(4)
Wole Soyinka feels more at ease writing in his native tribal language.
(5)
Wole Soyinka was eager to return to Nigeria because he wanted to pass on this good news to his family members as soon as possible.

Listening answers

Special Report

(1) Name: Wole Soyinka
(2) Age:
years old
(3) Experience:
  a. 1950s: studied
in
  b. 1960s: formed
in
(4) Literary work:
  a. the language in which he writes:
  b. his works have been translated into:
,
,
,
, and
languages
  c. his best known work in the US:
, his

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)