Special Report

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

Special Report

1. Fill in the blanks according to what you have heard on the tape.
(1) A number of factors contribute to the increasing difficulties in farming; they include
  a.
,
  b.
of growing food, and
  c.
of selling food.
(2) A new organization called "
" is trying to help
in New York by
with
. This scheme seems to
.

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
The group of people who worked on a farm last week included two actors, a housewife, a tour guide, a dog walker, an unemployed social worker and two four-year-old kids.
(2)
They were all from New York City.
(3)
They spent a few days working on Hall Gibson's fruit and vegetable farm.
(4)
Gibson gave an introduction of his 125-acre farm with aerial photographs.

3. Fill in the blanks to complete the following statements.
(1) The reporter thought that Gibson's
talk for introduction of his farm was too
.
(2) Gibson described the area in which his farm was located as
.
(3) One of the big incentives to producing milk in his area, Gibson believed, was
.

4. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) After the talk given by Gibson, the group was led to a five-acre field that was lined with _____________.

a. tomatoes, raspberries, eggplants and turnips b. tomatoes, turnips, raspberries and cabbage c. tomatoes, eggplants, cabbage and turnips d. tomatoes, fruits and eggplants
(2) Laura Moore, ____________, has made four trips to area farms. a. an actress and housewife b. a tour guide and dog walker c. an unemployed social worker d. a housewife and part-time teacher
(3) In addition to one-day farm outings, Farm Hands also places individuals on farms for periods ranging _____________. a. from a week to several months b. from a week to a month c. from a month to several months d. from a month to a year
(4) In exchange for their labor, participants receive ______________. a. a minimum wage, room and board, and produce b. a regular wage and produce to take back with them to the city c. a minimum wage, room and board or produce d. a regular wage or produce to take back with them to the city
(5) The new organization, Farm Hands, has been in existence for ______________. a. half a year b. one year c. a year and a half d. two years
(6) Since the beginning of its operation, Farm Hands has placed more that ____________ on the one-day field trips. a. twenty people b. a hundred and twenty people c. two hundred people d. two hundred and twenty people

5. Fill in the blanks to complete the following statements.
(1) Hall Gibson has had
long term farm-hands this summer.
(2) Debby Fisher is a
-year-old New York City
and now is currently working on
as a
.
(3) Gibson appreciates Debby Fisher that she works like a
, and she is a
.
(4) The founder of the Farm Hands program is
-year-old
.

6. Spot Dictation. Listen to the tape again and fill in the following blanks.
    It is not just
that helps those farmers; it's the
. They suddenly realize after an hour of
and
on the brambles, they understand
and
, and may become
and customers for those farmers.

7. Choose from the following list the states that are currently on the Farm Hands program and place them in Column I and those that will probably enter the program in Column II.
Column I

a. Connecticut  
b. Maryland  
c. Massachusetts   d. New Jersey  
e. New Mexico  
f. New York   g. Ohio  
h. Pennsylvania  
i. Vermont   j. Wyoming

Column II

a. Connecticut  
b. Maryland  
c. Massachusetts   d. New Jersey  
e. New Mexico  
f. New York   g. Ohio  
h. Pennsylvania  
i. Vermont   j. Wyoming

Listening answers

Special Report

a.
,
  b.
of growing food, and
  c.
of selling food.
(2) A new organization called "
" is trying to help
in New York by
with
. This scheme seems to
.

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
They were all from New York City.
(3)
(4)

(1) The reporter thought that Gibson's
.
.
.

(1) Hall Gibson has had
long term farm-hands this summer.
(2) Debby Fisher is a
-year-old New York City
and now is currently working on
as a
.
, and she is a
.
-year-old
.

It is not just
that helps those farmers; it's the
and
on the brambles, they understand
and
, and may become
and customers for those farmers.

Column I

a. Connecticut  
b. Maryland  
c. Massachusetts   d. New Jersey  
e. New Mexico  
f. New York   g. Ohio  
h. Pennsylvania  
i. Vermont   j. Wyoming

Column II

a. Connecticut  
b. Maryland  
c. Massachusetts   d. New Jersey  
e. New Mexico  
f. New York   g. Ohio  
h. Pennsylvania  
i. Vermont   j. Wyoming