ACT English OG Test 3 - 1902: A Space Odyssey

Questions 31-45 are based on the following passage.

1902: A Space Odyssey

Our technologically advanced times Q31 has allowed filmmakers to create spectacular science fiction films to intrigue us with worlds beyond our experience. Imagine the excitement in Q32 1902 when audiences first saw Le Voyage dans la lune (A Trip to the Moon) , a groundbreaking movie produced by Georges Méliès.

Méliès's magician's eye led him to discover the basics of special effects. Q36 He experimented with effects such as speeding up and slowing down the action, reversing it for backward movement, and superimposing images of fantastic creatures over real people. Using overhead pulleys and trapdoors, Q37 he was able to do interesting thlngs.

Aware of the popularity of Jules Verne's science fiction novels, Méliès saw exciting possibilities in filming a space odyssey. The interplanetary travel film that he created, A Trip to the Moon, had production costs of $4,000, Q38 highly excessively for its time. In this film, a space capsule Q39 that is fired and thereby launched and projected from a cannon lands in the eye of the Man in the Moon. In a strange terrain filled with hostile Q40 creatures, the space travelers experience many adventures. They escape back to Earth in the capsule by falling off the edge of the Q41 moon, landing in the ocean, they bob around until a passing ship finally rescues them.

Producing the film long before interplanetary explorations Q42 had began, Méliès could Q43 arouse his audience's curiosity with unconstrained fantasy. Q44 People are still going to theaters to see science fiction films.

Question 31