Three years ago, because of flooding at the Western Palean Wildlife Preserve, 100 lions and 100 western gazelles were moved to the East Palean Preserve, an area that is home to most of the same species that are found in the western preserve, though in lar

Three years ago, because of flooding at the Western Palean Wildlife Preserve, 100 lions and 100 western gazelles were moved to the East Palean Preserve, an area that is home to most of the same species that are found in the western preserve, though in larger numbers, and to the eastern gazelle, a close relative of the western gazelle. The only difference in climate is that the eastern preserve typically has slightly less rainfall. Unfortunately, after three years in the eastern preserve, the imported western gazelle population has been virtually eliminated. Since the slight reduction in rainfall cannot be the cause of the virtual elimination of western gazelle, their disappearance must have been caused by the larger number of predators in the eastern preserve.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The author of the argument asserts that extinction of gazelles which were moved from the Western Palean Wildlife Preserve to the Eastern Palean Preserve, is caused by the large number of predators in the area. This conclusion is buttressed by evidence which should be carefully scrutinized in order to give a comprehensive estimation of soundness of the conclusion.

We are told that the East Palean Preserve is the home for most of the same species that inhabit in the western preserve but these indigenous animals in larger numbers. Perhaps these western gazelles which are close relatives of eastern ones consume the same food and thus they may compete with each other for it. If western gazelles have failed the rivalry, they may die out because of lack of food which leads to their weakness and inclination to disease.

The second possible cause of the eliminator of these gazelles is disease or illness which they perhaps contracted from their close relatives. The animals which used to live in the Western Palean preserve may not have immunity to the diseases which have their close relatives. Thus the sudden extinction may be caused by an epidemic.

Furthermore, we cannot exclude human beings as a possible source of the problem. The catastrophe which stricken the Western Palean Wildlife preserve, may cause an serious reduction of the number of gazelles' population thus the cost of these animals may increase dramatically. If these rescued western gazelles have relatively high value on the illegal market, they may be victims of poaching. In this case, the death of the removed animals is the result of humans' greed for money.

Finally, perhaps the cause of the extinction is a global disaster, for instance, a couple of years with severe droughts in the row may lead to the extinction of animals which inhabit the territory. In this case, the reason of the disastrous extinction is global weather pattern.

In conclusion, the writer of the argument maintains that only possible explanation of the western gazelles is the large number of predators; however, the number of other causes which were neglected by the arguer may lead to it such as climate catastrophe, lack of food or contracting of an illness to which were animals have to protection. In other words, the author's conclusion is unwarranted.