In a recent citywide poll fifteen percent more residents said that they watch television programs about the visual arts than was the case in a poll conducted five years ago During these past five years the number of people visiting our city s art museums

“In a recent citywide poll, fifteen percent more residents said that they watch television programs about the visual arts than was the case in a poll conducted five years ago. During these past five years, the number of people visiting our city’s art museums has increased by a similar percentage. Since the corporate funding that supports public television, where most of the visual arts programs appear, is now being threatened with severe cuts, we can expect that attendance at our city’s art museums will also start to decrease. Thus some of the city’s funds for supporting the arts should be reallocated to public television.”

I agree with the idea that Visual Arts should be promoted by the Government and that Television shows showcasing them will help spark interest amongst the population about the field. However,I have some reservations about diverting city funds to support the relevant television programs.

Firstly, We donot have access to some critical information regarding the methodology of City wide poll cited. Information like Sample Size, an Sample Demographics like participant's age distribution, any common link between them except being residents of the city would be essential to determine if the poll results capture the overall public sentiment. It may be possible that the Poll suffers for Sample Bias, like all residents being surveyed are all recent joinees of Visual Arts Clubs in the city. Thus, explaining the increased interest in viewership.

Secondly, We need more context about why is the Corporate Funding is threated with Severe Cuts and what was the reasoning behind Corporation's willing to fund the shows until recently? Is is an unintended effect of any Policy change enacted by the City Council that may have weakened Corporate willingness to fund shows?

Thirdly, There is no information regarding the source or reason of growth in number of Art Museums Visitors. It maybe that recently the Musuem acquired a Famous Art Piece that attracted visitors and not necessarly indicate increased interest in Visual Arts.

And Finally, which department or programs budgets will see cuts in order to fund these television shows? Are the concerned Department or Program objectives more deserving of those funds? What could be the possible risks and effects of these Budgetary cuts for general populance of the city.