Analyze an argumentThe following appreared in ma memorandum from the owner of the Juniper Cafe, a small, local offe shop in the downtown area of a small american city: "We must reduce overhead here at the cafe. Instead of opening at 6 a.m. weekdays, we wi

While it is understandable that the owner aspires to decrease overhead expenses at the cafe, the strategy that he employs in doing so is not the best as he mentions. The lack of cogent insights on many factors affecting the resource consumption in the cafe, as well as, their income, are absent in the argument, making it rife with holes and assumptions.

The Author argues that reducing working hours will help him reduce expenses but fails to present any convincing insights to bolster his argument. For example, the author fails to justify his decision to reduce working hours in the morning on weekdays and closing the cafe early during weekends, when presumably the customers are more likely to visit the cafe throughout the day. Also, the implication that less working hours result in less expenditure appears as a mere assumption, as it is not always true. Hence, his strategy to decrease the hours of operations without studying when do their targeted customers prefer to visit the cafe, seems irrational. Evidently, the owner emphasizes only on money saving strategies than revenue generating ideas.

In order to diminish the overhead, cafe should carry out a survey that helps them understand the behaviour of their customers, customer visit frequency, what time do they prefer to visit the cafe. This kind of analytical approach would help them in deciding when to expect more visitors and during what hours the cafe should be closed. The decrease in hours might help them save their earnings, but shutting the cafe during wrong hours could mar their profits. Employees should be scheduled efficiently to limit resource consumption and wages. For Example, Employees should be assigned shifts to get things done at lesser expenditure. Moreover, looking for student employees would demand less money from owner's side.

Along with reducing the running costs, great amount of efforts should be made to ameliorate the quality of the service and to increase the earnings. For example, appealing offers should be proposed during idle days at the cafe to attract more visitors during those days.

Examining all the various angles and factors involved with reducing the overhead at the Juniper Cafe, it is safe to say that the argument is not apt and needs evaluation of number of factors mentioned in paragraphs above.

better to organize content like this:

para 1: introduction
para 2: argument 1
para 3: argument 2
para 4: argument 3 (optional)
para 5: conclusion