Argument Essay:-An international development organization, in response to a vitamin A deficiency among people in the impoverished nation of Tagus, has engineered a new breed of millet high in vitamin A. While seeds for this new type of millet cost more, f

The argument in the prompt states that due to the deficiency of vitamin A found in a group of people, an international Organization has engineered a new product. The arguments is rife with certain holes as it has considered assumptions like how much deficiency has been reported and through what sources. How much these sources have been reliable.

Furthermore, it says that farmer will be paid more, by what amount will that substantiate. The argument concludes that the people will adopt the new variety. How it can be assured without being confirmed from the people and does it cost the same price. Can people afford it. Also, government body supporting any international organization without any valid reasons or the proof sounds futile. The assumption considered are baseless as:

For instance the argument states that Vitamin A has been found deficit, where it has been proved through which survey, how many people were a part of it. Was it conducted in the whole nation or just an area of it. What is the percentage of deficiency, it may be ignorable. Also, it can be obtained from various other sources of vitamin A.The author hasn't explained all these factors with his assumptions.

Secondly, the author assumes that the product farming will cost more, so the farmer will be paid for it. But do the farmer find their land suitable for that product. Will that benefit them, will they cultivate and grow the product in as much quantity as much required. Nothing has been specified.

The argument has taken into account that people will accept it as they were use to the previous millet.But no such survey has been conducted to show the outcome and feedback from people. No evidence has been taken into consideration that it'll compensate for the less deficiency in the previous millet.

And as it cost more for farming, it may also cost more to the buyers. Are they ready to pay for the raised amount. Will all individuals of the Nation be able to afford it. No justification for it.

Therefore we can conclude that the argument stated may be truth that Vitamin A deficiency would have been cured and the people may accept it. But with the assumptions taken, the argument is refutable. It could have been strengthened if the author would have considered a sample survey or may have defined the source and scope of the assumptions.

Essays by the user:

argument 1 -- not OK

argument 2 -- not OK

argument 3 -- not OK
--------------------
read a sample:
http://www.testbig.com/gmatgre-essays/argument-international-developmen…