Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been unique to the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeol

Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been unique to the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could only have crossed it by boat, but there is no evidence that the Paleans had boats. And boats capable of carrying groups of people and cargo were not developed until thousands of years after the Palean people disappeared. Moreover, Paleans would have had no need to cross the river-the woods around Palea are full of nuts, berries, and small game. It follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not unique to Palea.

Based on doubtful assumption and evidence, the editorial draws a conclusion that the so-called Palean baskets were not unique due to the similar basket found in Lithos. At first glance, the statement appears to be somewhat plausible, but further reflection reveals that this argument omits some substantial concerns that should be addressed, thus not cogent enough.

Initially, the argument points out that no Palean boats have been found and thus they cannot cross the river. However, the author assumes to hastily that Palean people have no boats. Perhaps archaeologists are still digging the relics of Palean to find boats. No boats having been found does not mean Palean people do not have boats. There may be other evidence, such as litho-axes, huge cut-down woods, which can indirect suggest that Palean people had boats. Besides, without evidence proving that Lithos people did not have boats, it is entirely possible that Litho people crossed the river and brought the Palean baskets back.

In addition, the author suggests that the Brim River is board and deep. There is no evidence show that what the river was in prehistoric time. Since it was a long time ago, we can safely presume that Brim River is not that board and deep during prehistoric time, in which condition, people can cross the river and brought their basket to Lithos village without a boat. Also, we cannot rule out the probability that Palean may sale the baskets to merchants and the merchants saled them to other merchants and finally to Lthos people through a way which circumvent the river. Thus the argument is untenable.

Ultimately, even if people cannot cross the river, the author failed to recognize the possibility that the basket can be taken to the Lithos village by natural forces. What if Palean people dropped their baskets into the river accidentally when they washing their clothes by the Brim River? What if a deluge or flash flooding washed the Palea village and take the baskets into the river? The baskets may flowed to the other side of the river and were picked up by the Lithos people.

In the final analysis, the statement fail to substantiate its claim that the Palean basket is not unique, taking in account that the evidence cited in the analysis does not lend strong support to what the author maintains. Without additional evidence, however, one should be especially wary about accepting the truth of the argument’s conclusion.