The following appeared in a letter from the owner of the Sunnyside Towers apartment complex to its manager One month ago all the showerheads in the first three buildings of the Sunnyside Towers complex were modified to restrict maximum water flow to one t

In the letter, the owner of the Sunnyside Tower predicts that by restricting the maximum water flow of the showerhead to one-third of what it used to be, will increase their profits. The predictions were made by assuming that the showerheads which were installed in the first three buildings have saved enough water to generate them a profit and doing the same with the rest of the buildings will help them generate even more profit. However, to fully evaluate the conclusion drawn by the owner, the following three questions should be answered.
Firstly, Is a month enough to judge the reliability of the showerheads installed in the first three buildings? Perhaps, in the following month, the showerheads fails to restrict the flow of the water even when the usage reaches one-third. How reliable and efficient are the showerheads and how sturdy it is in the long run only time will tell, and thus, one month of statistical data is not enough to evaluate the viability of the showerheads.
Secondly, If the actual readings of the water usage before and after the adjustment are not yet available then on what basis the owner assumes that the results are in the merit? It is impossible to evaluate the efficiency and if actually the showerheads are effective or not, without the proper statistical readings. For instance, although, the showerheads auto turns off when it reaches the max water flow, but still the other outlets of the bathroom are still available for use. Thus the need for actual reading is very important for the conclusion given by the owner, to hold true.
Lastly, Does increase in profits directly correlates with the restriction of maximum flow of water to its one-third capacity? Suppose, there is a sudden shortage of drinking water in the region due to lack of rain in the previous year or due to some other reason such as a pipe burst, then it would severely affect the price of the water and it’s rate of supply, which would affect the profitability. Thus if either of these scenarios holds true, then the prediction made by the owner will not hold water.
In conclusion, the argument, as it stands now, is considerably flawed due to its high reliance on several unwarranted assumptions. If the owner is able to provide answers to these questions mentioned above and provide evidence (perhaps in terms of statistical research data), then it will be possible to fully evaluate the prediction made by the owner.

Essays by the user: