Schools should do more to prepare students for the non academic aspects of adulthood Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take In developin

Our education system is tasked with shaping young minds and imparting knowledge in the hopes that students graduate from high school as fully-formed adults ready to take on the rest of their lives. From trigonometry, literature, even ceramics, children are given countless opportunities to learn a wide variety of subjects. Attendance in school is mandatory until children graduate high school, yet these students leave our education system knowing more about solving for x than solving their daily problems. Schools should do more to prepare students for adulthood for the betterment of student and society as a whole.

One way to better prepare students for adulthood is to teach them how to physically care for themselves. By offering courses surrounding the basics of cooking and nutrition, students can learn how to balance their diets to remain strong and healthy. Without proper nutrition, people can lose body mass and weaken their immune systems, which can over time lead to sickness and infirmity. While the has obvious negative consequences for us as individual, it also negatively impacts society. When we are too weak or sick to perform or keep our jobs, we lose the ability to contribute to the economy as a working individual. Cooking and nutrition courses can instill good behavior and skills in students so by the time they must provide for themselves, they can maintain their health and their jobs.

Aside from physical care, students also need to be taught how to financially care for themselves. Learning how to budget money is an essential skill that will enable students to make smart decisions surrounding their money in order to cover their expenses and save for the future. Adulthood is epensive; between rental payments, utility bills, and groceries, it is easy to get overwhelmed by daily expenditures. Budgeting is an important discipline that allows people manage their choices and prioritize aspects of their lives, whether it is saving for a new car or putting money towards a student loan. By understanding how their money comes and goes, students can also benefit the economy by investing in the stock market. This can increase their personal wealth and strengthen the national economy.

Others argue that classes that support the development of these skills – home economics and the like – are not as popular with students today and are too expensive to maintain. Because students now can choose from so many ther electives – choir, photography, dance, languages – many do not choose the courses that will teach them the non-academic skills they will need as adults. Class sizes are therefore too small to fund given the low budgets many schools already have to work within. Providing funding for these programs to schools nationwide could be extremely expensive, with money already being cut from the education sector.

Despite the financial setbacks, our children deserve to lern this information. What good is an education system that does not fully prepare its children for adulthood? Students that are not prepared for the realities of everyday adult life will struggle to provide for themselves physically and financially, and will therefore not be able to fully contribute to society. To conclude, our schools should do more to prepare students for adulthood for the betterment of student and society as a whole.

Essays by the user: