Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student s field of study Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position

Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

“Diversity of the thought sparks the brightest ideas.” While a few students when enrolling in universities, may be a hundred percent sure about what they want from life, a larger lot remains confused about the career path they wish to take. Exposing young minds to a diverse array of educational programs (besides their field of study) may prove to be the right way in inciting curiosity about learning. Hence, I strongly agree with the proposed recommendation that universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside his/her field of study. The following two reasons add support to my stance.

Firstly, as mentioned earlier, a larger lot of students who enter universities are usually perplexed about their career path. By exposing them to courses beyond their field of study, universities may provide them with a pragmatic view of what every field of their interest holds for them. This may in-turn help these students into making the right decisions in selecting their desired field of study.

Secondly, extra-curricular courses involving sports, drama and art might prove to be an excellent way in promoting an individual’s overall growth (not just academic). Presently, there already exist numerous university programs which make it compulsory for students to undertake at least one extra-curricular course besides their academic ones to promote their overall development.

While there maybe some who may insist that students must be offered only those courses that pertain to their academic discipline, and by offering multiple courses universities may add extra burden to their mental and physical health, I believe if a university offers courses which spark interest among students and make learning “fun”—then there exists no reason in which it may add to a student’s “academic stress.” Thus, the above two reasons support my stance that universities must encourage every student to take a variety of courses outside his/her field of study.