This topic comes from the Cambridge IELTS 7 Test 2 Writing Task 2 You should spend about 40 minutes on this task Write about the following topic Some people believe that there should be fixed punishment for each type of crime Others however argue that the

Almost everyone agrees that criminals should be punished, but the issue of to what extent should they should be punished has been discussed for a long time.
Some people hold that punishments on different offenders for one crime should be the same. On the one hand, the fixed punishment can promise the justice of the law.On the other hand,it is difficult to decide the final punishment when considering many other unmeasurable factors.
However,there are also people who argue that the decision of punishment should involve other relative factors such as the motivation, the circumstance, and the result. For example, one person may crime because of beating another person who imposes a threat on him, and it is reasonable to alleviate the punishment on such special occasions.
In my view, although everyone should be punished when committing a crime no matter who they are, many relative factors should be considered in the process of judgment. In the majority of realistic criminal events, the situation may be very complex, and the judgment of the crime is such a sophisticated work that it is not so easy to determine a fixed punishment in a simple way. Different situations lead to different consequences, for instance, a criminal who killed another person should stay in prison for 20 years,while the figure maybe 10 for those who failed in the killing.
Overall, the kind of punishment for one crime should be the same to ensure the fairness of the law, but the judge should consider the specific situation when deciding the extent of the punishment, which promises the real fairness of the judgment.