City dwellers seldom socialize with their neighbours today and the sense of community has been lost Why has this happened and how to solve this problem

City dwellers seldom socialize with their neighbours today and the sense of community has been lost. Why has this happened and how to solve this problem?

Most city residents nowadays have lost their sense of community due to the lack of daily interactions with their neighbourhoods. The reasons behind the issue are manifold and measures have to be done to reverse this trend.

The excessive pressure people facing nowadays inevitably stop us from socializing with others. Compared to decades ago, we enjoy much less leisure time. For most people, especially city dwellers, there are always numerous works and tasks waiting for them to completed. In order to be distinguished in the ever increasing population, they have no choice but to work harder. The fierce competitions in the workplaces continuously compel us to devote more time and effort into our work. Thus, leaving only limited time for people to do whatever they like, let alone to social with their neighbours.

Additionally, the proliferation of the Internet and mobile phones also contribute to the deterioration of community sense. Individuals can easily communicate with others miles away through modern technology. However, people become gradually alienated with each other as an undesirable consequence because they lack face- to- face interaction. The process of exchanging thoughts and ideas personally is what really matters in bonding community ties. Hardly can a genuine relationship be formed without any interaction with others. If one spend mostly his time with human contrivances, it is hard for him to get rid of loneliness and feeling be isolated.
To rebuild the sense of community, individuals have to overcome their overly reliance on computers and telephones. Instead of staying at home, they should partake in more community activities at their leisure. Besides, we should rebalance our lives, leaving ourselves more time to do some worthier activities such as hiking and team based sports. After all, life is not all about work and success.

To conclude, the increasing competitions and excessive use of the Internet and phones are the main culprit of declining sense of community. However, if people could make some adjustments in their life, the situation would be changed without any doubt.