Kaplan 4th edition Sample Practice 1 Ernest Hemingway

The reading and the lecture are both about Ernest Hemingway and his books. The author from the reading feels that his works are unrealistic and too personal, the lecturer challenges this claims. And she is against the opinion that the author gives about Hemingway.

To begin with, the author argues that Hemingway relied a lot on his experience to the point that made his books too personal and the nonfiction seem unrealistic. This specific argument is challenged by the lecturer. She said that his books and writings was realistic to her.

Secondly, the writer suggests that rhetorical style of Hemingway Is too simple and for beginners. For example, the use of adjectives was limited. The lecturer, however, rebuts this by mentioning that his writing was complex and challenging and always keep something for the reader to figure out.

Finally, the article mentions that due to his simplicity in writing Hemingway characters was weak and inaccurate. In contrast the lecturer disagrees she admire Hemingway and hid present of female characters. She mentions that he did good.

Essays by the user: