It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are generated and preserved.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developin

It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are generated and preserved.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

It is popularly believed that national culture is created and preserved in megalopolises. Although, this idea has many proponents who point on the fact that cosmopolitan culture is indeed generated in metropolises, I cannot concur with the issue because of the reasons which will be discussed in details below.

To begin with, it is difficult to deny that culture is generated in cities. However, does this newborn culture reflect nation's traditions? Perhaps, the answer on this question is "no". Contemporary metropolises are centers of international trade and politics. In fact, globalization has changed life in big cities; it has evaporated national distinctions and traditions. You may visit London, Moscow, Tokyo or Los Angeles and you will inevitably see the same brands, commercials, restaurants but moreover, even people's attitudes to the life, its pace will be similar in all of those metropolises. From this viewpoint, culture which is created in those cities is cosmopolitan and mainly nationless.

Furthermore, the belief that nation's culture is preserved in metropolises seems to be questionable as well. The reason may be the fact that those cities accumulate millions of people, who come from different regions, belong to distinct nations and confessions. In fact, in such metropolis as Moscow or New York you may hear tens of languages, see people who belong to distinct nationalities who come from all over the world. All of those people have to work and live together to do it successfully they have to abandon their own roots and absorb the new cosmopolitan culture which possesses no bias, no prejudice which are often associated with national cultures. From this prospect forsaken of national distinctions such as traditions is reasonable and efficient, therefore nation's culture is not preserved in cities as well.

Consequently, one question arises in mind: where nation's culture is generated and preserved? In my opinion, the answer on this question is "small towns and rural areas". In fact those areas which are located far from the central cities and less exposed to external influence. Consequently, residents have a possibility to absorb changes and alter their national culture to it. This fact is especially conspicuous if we take a look at countries which consist of many nations such as the USA, in fact, each state has its own history and traditions which is propelled by locals via festivals and over local events. Moreover, nation's culture is well preserved in those areas as well. For instance, in some removed areas of Russia you may find villages in which residents adhere to ancient life-style: they have no electricity or other conveniences of modernity. In fact, you may find similar villages all over the world from Africa to Europe and America.

In conclusion, although new cosmopolitan culture is generated in major cities, it has almost no national treats; moreover, those megalopolises keep no room for preservation of traditions as well. However, culture which reflects nation's traditions is generated and preserved in small villages and towns which are not exposed to impact of outsiders.

You change the topic a little bit: it is not 'nation's culture' but 'nation's cultural traditions'.

You may analyze issue essays like argument essays. Don't forget our TLPE.

----------------------