Mummy Dust

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Task 2: Mummy Dust

1. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) The talk is about ___________.

a. Ancient Egypt b. mummies in Ancient Egypt c. death in the nineteenth century Egypt
(2) Mummies ____________. a. are the well-preserved bodies of important people in ancient Egypt b. are the well-preserved bodies of ordinary Egyptians c. are the well-preserved bodies of important people in Egypt now
(3) The magic story of "mummy dust" led to ___________. a. a lot of deaths b. great improvement in preserving bodies c. a great demand for mummies both inside and outside Egypt
(4) With the increasing commercial value of mummies ___________. a. some people were engaged in making false mummies. b. the black market of mummies came into being c. both a and b
(5) Nowadays archaeologists and anthropologists are very careful in treating mummies because ______________. a. they are hesitant to touch such bodies b. they don't want to do the least destruction to the mummies c. they bought the mummies at high price

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
Both ordinary people and scholars are fascinated by Egypt.
(2)
Nowadays many mummies of ancient kings and queens have come to life again.
(3)
Mummies were once believed to have medical effect on some diseases.
(4)
Even in the nineteenth century the Egyptian authorities had to exert tight control over the sale of mummies.
(5)
Because of the Black Market, scientists had to buy mummies for their research in a secret way.
(6)
New techniques of analysis won't do any destruction to the mummies.
(7)
After the analysis, scientists now restore the poorly preserved mummies to a state of "decent burial".

3. Fill in the following blanks with what you hear on the tape.
(1) The custom of preserving the bodies of important people ... has quite
.
(2) So-called "mummy dust" —
— was thought to be an essential ingredient in
and
.
(3) In this way, the scientists involved have tried to satisfy both
.

Listening answers

Task 2: Mummy Dust

(1) The talk is about ___________.

2. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)

.
(2) So-called "mummy dust" —
and
.
.