News in Detail

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News in Detail

1. Identification. Match each item in Column I with one item in Column II by recognizing one's identity or comment.
Column I
(1) Colonel Muammar Quddafi
(2) Bernard Kalb
(3) Bill Busenberg
(4) George Shultz
(5) Marvin Kalb
(6) Winston Churchill

Column II
a. correspondent for NBC
b. "I don't have any problems with the little psychological warfare against Quddafi."
c. former State Department spokesman
d. reporter for NPR
e. "In time of war truth is so precious, it must be attended by a bodyguard of lies."
f. Libya's political leader

Answer: (1) —
; (2) —
; (3) —
; (4) —
; (5) —
; (6) —
.

2. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) Bernard Kalb's resignation is _____________ to protest the disinformation policy.

a. the first b. the second c. one of many government officials' d. the last
(2) Bernard Kalb had been _____________ before he became the chief spokesman of the State Department. a. a veteran of the Vietnam War b. a business correspondent for CNN and NBC c. a special correspondent for ABC and NPR d. a diplomatic correspondent for CBS and NBC
(3) When Bernard Kalb resigned, the issue of disinformation program ____________. a. seemed to be fading from the news b. was still being discussed heatedly in the news c. just started to appear in the news d. was already forgotten by the people
(4) According to reports, the State Department _____________ the disinformation issue. a. initiated b. has had nothing to do with c. has been strongly against d. has been involved in
(5) Bernard Kalb's resignation put Reagan Administration in an awkward situation because ____________. a. it is just a few days before the US-Soviet summit meeting b. it is just a few days before an important pre-summit meeting c. it is just a few days after Secretary Shultz's statement in New York d. it is just a few days after the government's denial of any involvement in the disinformation campaign
(6) Bernard Kalb said his resignation today ______________. a. has something to do with the Hasenfus' case b. has something to do with the forthcoming US-Soviet summit meeting in Iceland c. has nothing to do with any incident other than reported disinformation campaign d. has nothing to do with Qmerican confrontation with Quddafi regime

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
Marvin Kalb, Bernard's brother, is still working for the CBS.
(2)
Bernard Kalb's resignation surprised his former colleagues.
(3)
Bernard Kalb confirmed that he had been personally involved in the disinformation program and that was why he decided to resign.
(4)
Bernard Kalb said that George Shultz shared his opinions about the disinformation program.
(5)
George Shultz denied today on ABC that he disagreed with the administration's policies against Libya.
(6)
According to Shultz, anything hurts America's credibility hurts America.
(7)
Bernard Kalb said that sometimes he felt himself as a journalist masquerading as a spokesman.
(8)
Bernard Kalb said that he resigned because he didn't want his own credibility to be involved in this controversy.

4. Fill in the blanks to complete the following statements.
(1) In 1983 a deputy
his job at the
as a protest against
the US
shortly before
, which is similar to Kalb's resignation.
(2) It was
who appointed
the chief spokesman of the State Department two years ago. (Kalb/Shultz)
(3) Shultz
the US policies against
, including a disinformation effort, while Kalb insisted that he could
any policy of disinformation.

5. Spot Dictaion. Listen to the tape again and fill in the following blanks.
(1) Kalb said
have always been
, and he has
. Kalb
today to praise Secretary Shultz,
, he said, of such
that he allows other people to have their
.
(2) "I'm concerned about
of any such program on
of the United States.
,
of America, is the pulse beat of
. Anything that hurts
hurts America. And then on a much, much, much
, there's the question of my
, both as
and
, a spokesman for
, a journalist for
."

Listening answers

News in Detail

Column I
(1) Colonel Muammar Quddafi
(2) Bernard Kalb
(3) Bill Busenberg
(4) George Shultz
(5) Marvin Kalb
(6) Winston Churchill

Column II
a. correspondent for NBC
c. former State Department spokesman
d. reporter for NPR
f. Libya's political leader

Answer: (1) —
; (2) —
; (3) —
; (4) —
; (5) —
; (6) —
.

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)

(1) In 1983 a deputy
his job at the
as a protest against
the US
shortly before
(2) It was
who appointed
(3) Shultz
the US policies against
any policy of disinformation.

(1) Kalb said
have always been
, and he has
. Kalb
today to praise Secretary Shultz,
, he said, of such
.
(2) "I'm concerned about
of any such program on
of the United States.
,
of America, is the pulse beat of
. Anything that hurts
, there's the question of my
, both as
and
, a spokesman for
, a journalist for
."