News in Detail

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News in Detail

1. General Comprehension. Fill in the blanks to complete the following statements.
(1) The military government held
in Chile today.
(2) The assassination attempt was made
ago.
(3) The government had
on its opponents.
(4) The people in the rally gathered
La Moneda,
.
(5) The
-year-old victim's family claimed he was
yesterday by
.

2. Focusing on Details. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) A demonstration was held to ______________.

a. Protest the government's crackdown on its opponents b. Defy the attempt to assassinate President Augusto Pinochet c. celebrate the thirteenth anniversary of the military takeover d. support the Chilean Humman Rights Commission
(2) Heavily armed soldiers were stationed along major downtown streets ______________. a. to safeguard the demonstrators b. to prevent the demonstrators from marching ahead c. to protect President Augusto Pinochet d. to arrest members of the Chilean Human Rights Commission
(3) Here a "close call" means ______________. a. an immediate summon b. a secret visit c. a narrow escape d. a local telephone call
(4) Carrasco's wife said he was ____________ by men claiming to be police. a. called back from his office b. abducted on his way home c. arrested outside their home d. roused from bed
(5) Carrasco had been back in Chile only two years after ____________ in exile. a. thirty-eight years b. twenty years c. ten years d. eight years

3. Complete the following statements to provide a true account of today's events.
(1) The bodies of at least
more
were also found.
(2) Their
have not yet been
.
(3)
continued in the
of the state of siege.
(4) More leftist political figures were
, bringing the total
to twenty.
(5) The government has issued
for a number of others, some of whom are in
.

4. True or False Questions.
(1)
On the arrest orders there is at least one member of the Chilean Human Rights Commission.
(2)
Some members were arrested when their homes were raided.
(3)
All opposition magazines were ordered closed yesterday except the Christian democratic weekly, Hoy.
(4)
During the last state of siege in 1984 and 1985, Hoy was allowed to continue publishing.
(5)
Five foreign clergymen and one local lay worker were detained yesterday.
(6)
The President warned yesterday that human rights advocates would have to be expelled.

Listening answers

News in Detail

(1) The military government held
in Chile today.
(2) The assassination attempt was made
ago.
(3) The government had
on its opponents.
(4) The people in the rally gathered
La Moneda,
.
(5) The
yesterday by
.

(1) The bodies of at least
more
were also found.
(2) Their
have not yet been
.
(3)
continued in the
of the state of siege.
(4) More leftist political figures were
, bringing the total
to twenty.
(5) The government has issued
.

4. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)