The data from a survey of high school math and science teachers show that in the district of Sanlee many of these teachers reported assigning daily homework, whereas in the district of Marlee, most science and math teachers reported assigning homework no

The data from a survey of high school math and science teachers show that in the district of Sanlee many of these teachers reported assigning daily homework, whereas in the district of Marlee, most science and math teachers reported assigning homework no more than two or three days per week. Despite receiving less frequent homework assignments, Marlee students earn better grades overall and are less likely to be required to repeat a year of school than are students in Sanlee. These results call into question the usefulness of frequent homework assignments. Most likely the Marlee students have more time to concentrate on individual assignments than do the Sanlee students who have homework every day. Therefore teachers in our high schools should assign homework no more than twice a week.

The writer of the present argument contends that the student in the district of Marlee have better results in comparison with others who are in district of Sunlee. He asserts that due to doing less homework, the student in the district of M, attain better grades and finally he concludes that the teachers in their high schools should do the same. At first glance, the argument seems to reader tenable, but further analysis reveals that it is based on some questionable evidences which should answer properly to strength his arguments. In what follows, these questions shall be discussed.

First of all, the arguer believes that the main reason for higher performance of Marlee’s student is doing less homework and because of that they can concentrate more on their individual assignments. In this case, the writer doesn’t provide any reliable and strong evidence for these better grades. Even if, we assume that this statement is reliable and the students in Marlee strict are really better than Sunlee Strict, we also know that the student performance is related to several more important factors, such as talents of student, their efforts, quality of the way their teachers teach them, the attention of parents etc. maybe the better results is because of their teachers who are more experienced and educated, or because of student who are more talented or assiduous in the class or their home. If the writer had given some information about the quality of teachers or the status of student and they were similar in two districts, he could attribute better results to just the volume of the assignments.

The last but not least, is about the conclusion. The writer concludes that they the same way, should be applied in their area and surely asserts that this leads to better results. In fact, as I mentioned above, there is no strong evidence that this performance is because of this way of teaching. On the other hand, there is no information that the Marlee strict and his strict are completely similar in all situations, such as the level of student and teachers, facility of the high schools and so on. If the writer had given reasonable evidence that this results is just due to less homework and all the situations in these strict are alike, he could strengthen his assertion and his conclusion would rational and reliable.