The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a local newspaper in Masontown:" If we want to save money on municipal garbage disposal fees, we need to encourage our residents to recycle more. Last year, our neighboring town, Hayesworth, passed a law

The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a local newspaper in Masontown:

" If we want to save money on municipal garbage disposal fees, we need to encourage our residents to recycle more. Last year, our neighboring town, Hayesworth, passed a law requiring that all households recycle paper and glass, or pay a fine. Since that time, Hayesworth has seen its garbage disposal costs significantly decreased. If we implemented an advertising campaign encouraging our residents to recycle, Masontown would also save money on disposal of its waste."

The letter as written to the editor, to encourage residents to adopt the same scheme of garbage disposal as employed by their neighboring town, to solve the problem of garbage disposal makes too many assumptions. Such kind of law to be passed in Masontown should fulfill some hidden requirements so that the same law could be passed. These requirements until being verified to be same in both towns renders the passing of such law useless.

It is important to note before passing such law ,the amount and type of garbage being disposed off in two towns. The town of Hayesworth passed the law of home recycling of paper and glass , failing to do which might lead to fine. This was mainly done to reduce garbage disposal fee. It may be possible that the large amount of garbage in Hayesworth consistes of paper and glass which lead to decrease in garbage disposal costs. This might not be same for Masontown. What if Masontown produces much more of plastic garbage or vegetable waste? Then such law would be of no use as it would not help in reduction of garbage disposal fee. Also, the amount of garbage being produced per household is important in such cases. What if amount of garbage produced per home in Masontown as compared to Hayesworth is so high, it cannot be properly recycled at home? It needs large scale machinery to be recycled, which cannot be installed at home due to high costs and lack of space. Hence such a law would again prove to be of no use.

Another crucial factor to be considered is whether the garbage being produced is recyclable or not. What if Masontown has some scale business and factories which produce such high amount of noxious waste that is necessary to be disposed off by only highly sophisticated disposal methods? Also, if the large amount of waste being produced is non recyclable , there is no use of passing such a law.

Hence, there are several questions to be answered before passing such a law. Such laws cannot be passed just because they were successful in a particular town. Various eclectic factors need to be taken into account before doing so. As starters, a survey could be conducted to know the amount and type of garbage produced per household. Such data collected can prove to be useful to pass a modified version of law passed in Hayesworth. Also, proper research should be employed to know if waste generated is recyclable or not. Even if above factors are satisfied, they might not lead to reduction in garbage disposal costs. There might be several hidden factors to this reduction. It cannot be directly assumed that the law is majorly responsible for reductions. Costs could also be reduced due to buying of cheap machinery or reductions in process of materials employed for garbage disposal process.

Hence, as a conclusion it is there are several hidden assumptions to the law, it cannot be directly applied. Unless and until a survey is conducted data is collected to compare the conditions such laws would be of no use.