The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books."We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because i

The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books.

"We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because it is known for its wide selection of books on all subjects. Clearly, opening the café would attract more customers. Space could be made for the café by discontinuing the children's book section, which will probably become less popular given that the most recent national census indicated a significant decline in the percentage of the population under age ten. Opening a café will allow Monarch to attract more customers and better compete with Regal Books, which recently opened its own café."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

In this argument, the Board of Directors of Monarch Books, they are planning to open a cafe by closing down the children's section merely on the basis of decline in the percentage of population under ten years. I don't agree with their recommendation and would like to enlighten about their loop-holes in their decision making.

Monarch is situated at the same location for more than twenty years and has also attracted many customers. So just by discontinuing the children's section would be a very big step .They might lose their customer relations which they build since these many years. There is no need to discontinue if they want to start a cafe and expand their business they should buy another neighboring property instead of discontinuing the children's section. Also it is not known whether the denizents of the city are fast food lovers. They may be health conscious and instead of drinking shakes and eating other fast food items they may be more comfortable with fruits, salads and other healthy foods.

Secondly, just by recent decline in the population under age ten one can't judge and take these decisions. We don't know the exact figure of the population in the town. Thus it would be bias if we judge through these irrelevant datas. Because if the population of the town is small,then slight decline in the population would not do any effect to the Monarch Books.

Also the customers visiting the book shop can reduce if they close the children's section. We dont know that whether parents used to bring their children along with them or not. If they shut down this section, then many parents instead of visiting might go else where with their children for other recreational activities like garden ,swimming, etc.

There main reason for Monarch starting the cafe is to compete with Regal because Regal books,recently opened its own cafe in its shop.But we can't compare two of them because we don't know whether they were having books on the same subject or not. They might be dealing with the pyschological-books,biological-books, etc where children under age ten may not even understand the what these books are related to and what their purpose.At the age under ten they would rather be interested in story-telling books.

Thus it would be very egregious for them just to disclose children's section and start with the cafe.There are many points listed above to which they should take care of before hastily reaching to the conclusion.