A true university education encompasses far more than the narrow specialized study of a single discipline Only through exploring the broad spectrum of liberal arts courses can students become truly learned

A true university education encompasses far more than the narrow, specialized study of a single discipline. Only through exploring the broad spectrum of liberal arts courses can students become truly learned.

Competition in the marketplace often leads us to question the value of education which doesnot lead to a direct tarck of employment. So in countries like India we see a beeline of top students in engineering colleges whereas there is hardly much demand for courses in Liberal Arts.

Liberal arts doesn't preclude any specific career or vocation it only complements it. In the words of Peter J Drucker in today's world the literate are those who can "learn, unlearn and relearn". A course in Liberal arts doesnot prepare for a student's first job but for an entire career. When a student acts in play or learns to sing he learns to think rationally and act as a team.

Every field is a way of partioning knowledge into many parts. Liberal arts provides the bridge between different different partitions prividing an experience in education which is intellectually stimulating. Universities offer courses divided into majors but life is not divided into majors so who divide education?

Right set of skills rather than the right major had the edge to employers in the curent economic scenario. Employers prefer students who can adjust to any job, employees who can think and write rationally and solve complex day to day problems-skills typical of a liberal arts students.

No matter how advanced our society develops we will always need to separate good from evil, justice from injustice. It has been rightly said in the words of Albert Einstein "A education in liberal arts does not teach facts from a textbook but teaches a student to learn from his surroundings."