Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.

Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.
Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.

Government don't have to financially support major cities especially for preserving and generating cultural tradition. Major cities are not true reflection of single cultural tradition. Preserving cultural traditions doesn't require much of the financial aid as well, and if at all required rural areas where the cultural tradition are preserved should be awarded financial support.

Now a days major cities have lost their cultural traditions as people from different countries, region and religion migrate to the city to fulfill their aspiration and improve the standard of living. For example in the city like San Francisco where majority of the working population is Asian; it doesn't make sense for Government to invest dollars for preserving Californian traditions. Another example is Mumbai, financial capital of India. At one point of time Mumbai was considered to be community of Mill workers and Diwali was the only festival celebrated by Mumbaikar, people of Mumbai. But now with the Globalization, people from different region and religion are part of Mumbai. Government may not have sufficient fund to aid all the traditions. Also, providing financial aid to one tradition may imbalance the natural development of other traditions, affecting the integrity of city and may give rise to communal disharmony.

Rural areas where traditions are embraced and treasured should receive financial support for conserving tradition. City like Agra well known for "Taj Mahal" and flourished as cultural and artistic hub of India, is in dire state, struggling to preserve its cultural integrity. Tomb of Itimad-ud-Daulah known as 'jewel box' and one of most visited place in Agra is in very bad condition and requires immediate Government attention and funding to repair the artistic work.

To conclude, Government can provide financial aid to major cities to boost the economy and science but not for preserving cultural traditions. Also, Government funding in the major cities where multiple traditions are followed can lead to communal disharmony. Government should patronize rural areas where traditions are safeguarded.