Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and s

Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

In this age of technological advancement and the rapidly growing world, competition has become a key factor among every individual. This can be linked to education. Every competitive individual looks up to education as one of the basic necessities to survive in this competitive world. This in fact is perfectly valid and acceptable as the society is often favorable to educated people. Though this is quite unreasonable, the fact is that education is the top-most priority. Hence this brings us to the core of the discussion as to why formal education is very important for every individual.

Well, it is not completely true that formal education restrains our minds and spirits rather than set them free. On the contrary, formal education helps us in thinking with a wide perspective and opens the door for numerous approaches to pursue a particular task. Formal education is meant to educate us with the basic things in life and provide a foundation, rather a strong one, to grow as successful individuals. Formal education can be as basic as the education provided in a montessori to the one provided in the universities. However, it is also possible that students prefer to study by themselves without any formal training. This may not be completely disadvantageous but at the same time, it expunges the factor of communication among the students which is a key to be successful.

For example, the concept of distance education is undoubtedly a fast growing approach that is famous among students who cannot take up full time courses by attending colleges either due to work constraints or personal constraints. In such cases, distance education acts as a boon. But it is also true that the recognition and the certification provided by a full-time course is way more valued than the ones provided by distance education. There are currently many institutes which provide the facility of evening colleges thus facilitating the students to work as well as pursue education. There is famous saying which says that "A person who studies only what is given in a book and mugs it up is similar to a frog in a well". It feels that the well is its world and is never exposed to the world affairs. This will be the outcome of students who are bereaved of formal education.

This can be contradicted by saying that, the formal education is now way too expensive and cannot be afforded by all the students even those who are interested in studying. This can be addressed by following certain measures like providing free education to students who cannot afford to pay a ransom amount to the institutes at least till they become self sufficient. Scholarship is another motivating factor. There are currently many institutions which provide scholarships to students who have scored well in their academics. This way the students can progress towards their goal and become more ambitous. Another option is the loans provided by the banks.

Hence formal education must be treated with utmost importance and the awareness should be spread to every other place to pursue formal education. This way, every individual can grow to be a successful and self-sufficient person.