The diagrams below show the design for a wave energy machine and its location

The diagrams below show the design for a wave-energy machine and its location

The two diagrams depicts a cross-section of a wave energy machine and typical installations

the wave energy machine has two chambers, a lower one placed below sea level, where waves go in and out and an upper one, where the turbine blades of an electricity generator are installed. it operates on two cycles. In first, wave enters the lower chamber and raise the water level. this forces air into the upper chamber. in the second cycle, the water level drops as the wave recedes, and this sucks air from the upper into the lower chamber. the airflow is directed in such a way that both cycles cause the generator's turbine blades to spin.

the electricity output of this machine depends on how offshore it is installed. if it is located a long way from the coast, the wave have more energy and the output is high. However, in deep water, the cost of installing it is high. on the other hand, if it is positioned close to the shore, it will not be as expensive, but the low-energy waves there result in a lower output.