Life now is better than it was 100 years ago To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement

Life now is better than it was 100 years ago. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Although many people believe that life in the past was better than it is now, others claim that new technologies let us live with more comforts nowadays. I agree with the opinion that life is better now than it was one hundred years ago for several reasons, to a degree.

First of all, now, new technologies allow us to spend a life with many benefits. For instance, smartphones are much useful in order to contact far people, or also to receive and send mails and to do researches in Internet. Furthermore, laptops can be brought with us, so people can work everywhere and when they want with their personal computers.

In my view, not only technologies have changed our life, but there have been many social revolutions since 1915. In fact, there was a feminist movement in the 1960s, which was essential in order for women to achieve many human rights that now we have. Moreover, thank to Martin Luther King, now, black and white people have same opportunities, chances and rights, unlike one hundred years ago.

On the other hand, however, my opinion is that many things are worse now than they were in the past. For example, nowadays, environment is damaged by human activities, and both nature and animals are in a circumstance of immense danger. Indeed, in the last century, the Amazon Forest is more than halved as consequence of logging, and a lot of animals have vanished. In addition, factories, industries and many private cars are causing a steady increase of pollution, which is the main cause of the global warming.

On the whole, it is my opinion that today we have many opportunities, due to technologies and both social and cultural movements, but, nevertheless, there are many troubles that have to be solved as soon as possible.