In some countries with the widespread use of the internet people are able to work or study from home instead of having to travel to work or college Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages Discuss and state your own opinion

In some countries, with the widespread use of the internet, people are able to work or study from home, instead of having to travel to work or college. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages? Discuss and state your own opinion.

Technology has revolutionized many aspects of our society. In particular, the Internet brought many changes in education and labor industry. Today, people are able to work or study from home instead of having to travel to work or university. This essay will look into the benefits and drawbacks of this growing trend to students and workers.

To start with, the growing popularity of distance learning and teleworking can be beneficial to the students and workers. Flexibility is a major benefit of studying or working from home. Students or employees are able to determine their working hours at their own convenience. In addition, they are able to determine the environment, lighting, temperature and mood that make them happier and more productive. Another advantage of this set up is that it saves time and money because there is no need for commuting and there is no travel cost as students or workers do not travel from their homes to the university campus or workplace. Finally, working or studying at home is more comfortable and convenient for many. Family members are also at close proximity and knowing they are just around can be pacifying especially for parents.

On the other hand, there are also disadvantages of working or studying from home. Firstly, working or studying alone through a computer at home means no contact or face to face interaction with coworkers and or other students. For some, isolation from colleagues or classmates can be depressing and lonely and this could reduce their learning as well as productivity in completing tasks. Secondly, although office distractions are avoided, different distractions from home may arise such as interruptions from family members, neighbors and friends. Thereby, special efforts must be made known that you are working and unavailable for interruptions. Lastly, the temptation of doing household matters is very strong like cleaning the house, childcare and preparing food.

In summary, working or studying from home proves to be beneficial. However, it also brings drawbacks that must be addressed. In my opinion, working or studying from home can benefit many people especially for working parents. It is predicted that this trend will become more welcomed in the near future.