Own a business.

Own a business.

The article presents few advantages that people have if they are opening and work for their own business and provides three reasons for support. However, the professor explains that managing your own business is not so easy as it is described in the article and refutes each of the author’s reasons.

First, the reading passage claims that bureaucracy faced by the people in big corporations is a major factor which causes employee’s frustration. If one will manage his or her own business this bureaucracy will disappear. The professor refutes this point by saying that the owners of the small businesses have to fight bureaucracy too. He mentioned that when a person open a new business many bureaucratic steps such as the issuing of the business plan, obtaining the approval for the business from the authorities, getting a loan to finance the business have to be completed in order to get the business to run.

Second, according to the article in a corporation the job security is not granted and the employees are in danger to be fired any time without notice. However, the professor contends that the job security is very low if you work for your own firm too because the person has to rely just on himself. If the owner of the business gets lazy or sick for few days nobody will take care of the job as is happening in the corporations. Hence, the job and the business might be in danger to fail any time.

Third, the reading passage avers that the employee’s fringe benefits decreased over the years and the employees have to pay more and more for the retirement plan or for the health insurance. The professor opposes this point by saying that the owner of a small company will be exposed to this hassle too. He said that the owner will have to find his own healthcare provider for health insurance. In addition to this, the owner will have to take care of the retirement plan and moreover to pay entire amount of money from his pocket to cover these benefits.