TPO 08 Toward the end of his life the Chevalier de Seingalt 1725 1798 wrote a long memoir recounting his life and adventures The Chevalier was a somewhat controversial figure but since he met many famous people including kings and writers his memoir has b

TPO 08- Toward the end of his life, the Chevalier de Seingalt (1725-1798) wrote a long memoir recounting his life and adventures. The Chevalier was a somewhat controversial figure, but since he met many famous people, including kings and writers, his memoir has become a valuable historical source about European society in the eighteenth century. However, some critics have raised doubts about the accuracy of the memoir. They claim that the Chevalier distorted or invented many events in the memoir to make his life seem more exciting and glamorous than it really was.

Both reading and lecture are about the memoir which was written by the chevalier de Seingalt, and his memoir became an essential historical source which is about European society. Based on the reading passage, some critics case doubt the accuracy of the memoir. The lecturer takes a stance against the author's opinion by providing three reasons.

At first, the chevalier in his memoir claims that he was a rich person, and he mentions parties and gambling during his life. The author mentions that if he was wealthy, he did not need to borrow money from the merchant. The lecturer puts forward that borrowing money can not be a good reason for being poor. The lecturer adds, he sold goods, and converting money can take time, in this time he borrowed money.

Add to this, the author, in the reading, gives another explanation which is about the conversation between chevalier and Voltaire. The author claims that he expressed the conversation in detail which is impossible because he wrote the memoir many years earlier. The lecturer practically repudiates the claim of the context relying on this expression that he wrote their conversation immediately each night, and he collected them into his memoir.

Finally, the author claims that he had money and good friends who can help him to offer a bribe instead of escaping the prison. However, the lecturer sheds light on the premise that many persons were in the prison who were rich but could not offer a bribe. In addition, the lecturer alludes to the roof of the room which the Venetian was as a prisoner was repaired so he escaped from the prison.