tpo8 task 1

tpo8 task 1

The professor contradicts the passage's statements about Chevalier's memoir not being reliable. She is of the view that no memoir is perfect but this one is accurate. She explains the reasons to refute each statement made in the passage.
to begin, the professor challenges the issue of Chevalier's not being wealthy as he claimed in his memoir with explaining that he may have borrowed from a Swiss merchant but since his wealth was stuff that needed to be sold first he got a loan until converting his wealth to cash since he wanted to spend a great deal of money to host parties or to gamble.
second, the issue of forgetting what exactly he and Voltaire talked about after many years until the memoir was written dose not please the professor either, she explains that he wrote notes each night of their meetings and some people witnessed this note-taking, he could have kept the notes to write his memoir based on them many years later.
finally, she acknowledges that Chevalier had a lot of powerful political friends but she also claims that there were prisoners who had more well-connected political friends than Chevalier did and those friends could not bribe to free those prisoners so in his case it's far-reaching to use friend's help plus there is evidence that shows soon after he escaped the siling of his room in the prison was had to be fixed, she askes that why would they fix siling if Chevalier did not escape?
for the reasons mentioned above the professor refuses to accept the statement made in the passage.