Should cell phones be banned in school

Should cell phones be banned in school?

In his article “Leave the Phone at Home,” Max Rebarb says that Mayor Bloomberg’s complete ban on cell phones on school property is a brave act that should be applied on all schools. He says cell phones are disrupting the learning process. He also says that a softer ban which only restricts using phones in class is still posing problems and class time is wasted to fix those. Reharb’s position is unreasonable and should be opposed. Three reasons why an absolute ban on cell phones in school is a bad idea are them being the most efficient means of distance communication, a great device for studying, and they should be incorporated in school curriculum for accurate use.

First, cell phones are indeed a personal communication device that students need for keeping in touch with their parents or acquaintances. On a daily basis, cell phones allow parents to keep a watch on their children by contacting them or tracking their location . In case of any emergency, such as medical conditions or dangerous incidents, phones become highly helpful to prevent any disaster that might happen.

Second, phones can be a strong supporter for learners in school. They can provide students with unlimited and updated sources of information from many different fields. Moreover, they can save schools a great deal of investment by replacing expensive, immovable learning electronic devices. A student would not have to go to the computer room to do research if he has a cell phone by himself, which also provides him with online websites, online libraries, social media debates, calculators, ect.

Finally, it is the educators’ responsibility to give their students guidance on using cell phones. Cell phones have been a part of young generation’s life. Hence, they should be covered in regular school curriculums so that young people have a better understanding and proper use. Otherwise, false use of phones might lead to harmful consequences. For instance, through lessons, teachers can help prevent cyberbullying by raising awareness among students as well as teaching them about its psychological and legal ramifications.

In conclusion, cell phones should not be banned in school anymore because they play a vital part in young generation’s life and they have the probability to benefit not only students but also their schools and their parents in a good way if educated properly. Cell phones are there to help!