Your professor is teaching a class on social studies Write a post responding to the professor s question In your response you should express and support your personal opinion make a contribution to the discussion in your own words An effective response wi

Your professor is teaching a class on social studies. Write a post responding to the professor’s question. In your response, you should

express and support your personal opinion
make a contribution to the discussion in your own words
An effective response will contain at least 100 words.

Professor: Today, we’re going to discuss the impact of social media on society. On one hand, social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have connected people from all over the world. However, there are concerns about the negative effects of social media, such as the spread of misinformation, the rise of cyberbullying, and addiction to social media use. What do you think? Does social media cause more harm than good?

Sarah: I think that social media has caused more harm than good. While it’s true that social media platforms have connected people in unprecedented ways, they have also caused real harm to individuals and societies. Additionally, when people spend too much time on social media platforms, they could suffer from mental health problems such as anxiety and depression. This is probably because they allow people to anonymously bully and harass other users.

Mark: I think that social media has mostly improved society. For instance, it has given a voice to people that previously were ignored. Moreover, it has provided platforms for political activism that has led to positive change. And, of course, social media has made it easy for everyone to stay connected to family and friends who are far away. In the past we had to make expensive phone calls to contact our loved ones, now we can talk to them and send them pictures for free on social networks.

Addressing a challenging topic, I find myself leaning towards the belief that, social media has both positive and negative effects. While I appreciate the points made by Sarah and Mark, I mostly agree with Mark. There is a saying that everything comes with a price. Social media connects people of all classes. People can easily connect all over the world, which was once a costly means of communication. They can share their thoughts on social media. Social media also serve as an important means of business which can help some people to become financially stable. Additionally, there are many groups for helping humans. For instance, in the time of COVID-19, a group was created on Facebook to find blood and plasma. There is another group for people who want to go abroad for their higher studies. In that group, those who were already successful helped other people to become successful. Yes, there are many disadvantages of social media like spending too much time and decreased mental health but more positives are there to make them beneficial ignoring the odd ones.