On Balmer Island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of accidents involving mopeds and pedestrians, the town council of Balmer Island should limit the

On Balmer Island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of accidents involving mopeds and pedestrians, the town council of Balmer Island should limit the number of mopeds rented by the island's moped rental companies from 50 per day to 25 per day during the summer season. By limiting the number of rentals, the town council will attain the 50 percent annual reduction in moped accidents that was achieved last year on the neighboring island of Seaville, when Seaville's town council enforced similar limits on moped rentals.

The argument concludes that by reducing the number of mopeds rented from 50 to 30 per day during summer season will ,eventually, lead to reduction in moped accidents in Balmer Island . This conclusion is based on the premises that the neighboring island of Torseau, last year , observed 50 percent reduction in moped accidents by imposing limits on moped rentals.The logic of argument is not persuasive , however , since it relies on the several unspported assumptions.

Firstly, the editor attributes the number of accidents involving mopeds to the summer month. Although summer month shows the increase in the population,it is nowhere mentioned that the accidents caused are the highest in this particular time period. May be the numbers of accidents are observed are more during winters when due to fog and ice it becomes difficult to spot things infornt , or during rains when the roads becomes slippery due to frequent precipitation , leading to loss of balance by the driver, then to accident.Thus, imposing such restriction which is confined to summers only will not be as effective as anticipated.

Secondly,The editor fails to mention that the mopeds, that were involved in accidents, were rental only. The rental mopeds are generally hired by tourists , that too, for limited time.The accidents taking place, are year around. There is highly likely possibility that the major vehicles involved in accidents were personally owned by the citizens of Balmer Island. So, by limiting the number will have no significant impact on the numbers, but , surely will give inconvenience to tourists which might effect the island's economy.

Furthermore, the editor assumes ,by limiting, the reduction rate of accidents in Balmer Island will touch 50 percent, as it was observed in the island neighboring to Torseau. However, we do not know about the other measures ,such as conducting various workshops on road safety and make it mandatory for every citizen to attend them, setting a speed limit and imposing fines on the motorists exceeding it , taken by the government. They might be the prime measures for achieving the goal and limiting the number of mopeds rented could be the secondary aspect .

Therefore,the conclusion that the limiting the number of mopeds rented to 30 per day during summer will reduce the accident rate is uncertain.If the editor mentioned the statistics citing the accidents taking place are more in summer and mopeds involved are generally rented, and that no other step, except the limit on total mopeds rented ,was taken by the neighboring island of Torseau than the argument would be substantially stronger. Without additional support ,however,there is little reason to follow its recommendation.