Governments should offer college and university education free of charge to all students.

Education plays an important role in the development of a child. It is important that the student should complete his education and become a responsible citizen. Suggesting to provide free education is a noble policy. Policy of free education have a bit more disadvantages than the advantages. Such a policy will create some problems such as funding, moral hazards, limiting the roles of universities, etc.

A policy of free education will result in funding issues. The universities get funds from the fees and thus they grant the scholarships and different facilities to the students. If governments provides education free of cost then a large amount of government funds would be invested in the university. This will hamper progress in other services. It is difficult for the government to solely afford the university funds.

Second, if the education is provided free of cost then the students might take education as granted. When the student needs to pay the fees they realize the importance of that money. They get the understanding of importance of education. Factors such as loans and family sponsorship encourage the students to invest their education by learning because they are answerable to someone. However, the policy of free education may be abused. For example, some students may bunk the classes.

Third, the universities also takes the funds and grants the research and development projects from the government and the private sectors. The research and development work requires funds which may not be available. The research may be limited because the funds received may not be enough to fulfill all the requirements such as maintenance of infrastructure and services.

No doubt, each and everybody is aware of the importance of education. If government provides free education then the students who are willing to study and accomplish their goal may get a chance to complete their education which was not possible due to funds. Because of such a policy the students may contribute towards the development of the society.

In conclusion, the suggestion that governments should offer college and university education free of charge to all students is noble but an unfeasible policy. Free education should only be provided to one's who deserve and are really in need.