Learning is primarily a matter of personal discipline students cannot be motivated by school or college alone

Learning is primarily a matter of personal discipline; students cannot be motivated by school or college alone.

Learning is a marriage of personal interest and pedagogical approach. The prompt underscores the role of inner disposition in learning a subject—academic or not. I would concede that the statement reflects the actuality in that students need to be motivated by themselves, not by external forces, before initiating the process of learning. Nevertheless, this argument seems to overlook the roles which instructors and school administration might assume in fostering one’s learning process. As a matter of fact, school or college can help students’ learning by breeding their intellectual curiosity, and motivating them to have some sorts of interests in learning. Ignoring the critical link between their influence and academic performance, the prompt only sheds light on individual trait—internal discipline.

Firstly, school teachers and college professors provide students with meaningful in-class personal interaction, during which students might alleviate their learning problems. These instructors have a capacity for social interaction which resources for learning and devices cannot substitute. Teachers carefully select materials that are worth studying; Teachers prevent children from acting upon a feeling of anger and impulse; College professors who are knowledgable and experienced than novices in class can help them to avoid costly mistakes. Of course, some opponents might argue that personal discipline still plays a crucial role in making students to keep learning, considering that individuals might search and selects teachers or learning materials that best work for them. However, it reflects a tenuous link between a student and their environments; indeed, students are often influenced by conditions which they cannot control, and instructors might intervene to ensure that those in trouble can find the solutions for their problems.

Secondly, school and college can push students’ to higher standards, ultimately leading them to a state of “flow”—a precursor for motivation. In many circumstances, instructors give students challenging materials which they had not faced with previously. Moreover, teachers and professors give them some sort of feedback about their performance in the form of grades or advice. Pushing students to delve into the unknown and not to be complacent with their current place, school programs motivate students to search for the better. Admittedly, any acute development psychologist would warn that undue pressure on grades and fierce competition among peers would deteriorate a learning process; indeed, both types of trouble might portend a problem later in their life. Nevertheless, psychologists have indeed agreed that, if moderate, external stimulus—especially given by instructors—are essential for students to keep on their track. In fact, any student may be complacent with their situation and feel unmotivated if they are not exposed to an environment which reveals their weakness.

All in all, the prompt’s contention exaggerates individuals’ personal traits, while not paying attention to the roles of pedagogical environment. Although I would agree that learning is partly a function of personal discipline, one should not make a hasty conclusion to overstate its comparative value. Teachers and professors are essential to ensure that standards for advanced learning are met; they form meaningful social interaction with students and imbue a sense of motivation to students.