This bar chart shows the different reasons for making journeys in the UK in 2006 and how males and females differed in this

This bar chart shows the different reasons for making journeys in the UK in 2006 and how males and females differed in this.

The bar charts elucidate the percentages of British people travelled for 9 different reasons in different genders in 2006.

It is immediately apparent that, the most common purpose of journey is commuting and shopping, being more than 20% of trips. The next common reason for people’s trip is visiting their friends and school run, which accounted at above 15%, closely followed by personal business of around 10%. Travelling for sport or education purposes came in 4th places of nearly 10% out of total travelling reasons. The least common types of journey is walking and holiday, both have the same percentage of around 3%.

However, there are differences among genders. Both sexes took approximately the same time of journeys in holidays, walking and personal business purpose. While slightly more travelled by men for education purposes, more women visited friends. Interestingly, almost twice females took a trip for shopping and school run, likewise, around 7% and around 4% more men commuted to work and committed to do a sport, respectively.

The two areas women travelled significantly more than men were shopping and the school runs, whereas men made a trip for the team work purposes – sports and business.