The chart below shows the percentage of households in own and rented accommodation in Wales and England between 1918 and 2011

The bar chart illustrates the proportion of accommodation whether rented or owned in two countries during a century from 1918 to 2011.
As we can see in 1918, the percentage of owning accommodation was just as quarter high as that of renting accommodation (over 20% and nearly 80%, respectively). From 1918 to 1961, the figure for household owning accommodation increased rapidly while there was a remarkable decline in renting accommodation until both of them reached the same level at 50% in 1971. After that, 1991 saw a substantial drop in the number of renting house which was just only a little over 30%. However, the quantity of owning accommodation took over the number of renting accommodation and reached a peak of approximately 70%. At the end of the survey, there was an upward trend in the proportion of households in owned accommodation while the number of renting accommodation wnt up slightly at around 35%.
Overall, at first, the proportion of renting accommodation was triple the number of owning accommodation. However, there was an opposite trend between them. While the number of the former decreased steadily, the later experienced a remarkable rise.