Some people say that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime Others however argue that the circumstances of an individual crime and the motivation for committing it should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishment Discu

Some people say that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishment. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

It is considered by some that there must be the samepunishments for each type of crime, while there are others who claim that punishment should be adjusted individuallytaking into consideration the motivation and circumstances. From my point of view, every offence must be considered as special one with individual judgment.
On the one hand, fixed punishments can be profitable in some way. It can influence on person’s mind while taking a decision to do some illegal things or no. People can learn about the effects they will face with if they break the law. For example, if a man wants to steal a jewelry rather than buy it, he will think about the fact that this behavior will cost him not the money but exact number of years in prison. Probably, he will weight the benefits and drawbacks and take the right decision.
On the other hand, circumstances and motivation must be taken into consideration while imposing punishment.I strongly believe that absolutely identical crimes do not exist. According to this fact, punishment cannot be the same, judge should take a decision based on fair personal value. For instance, let us consider a murder. In one case it has happened as a self-defense, in another – with the aim of robbery. There are different motivations and different circumstances. And for these two cases an equal punishment is unacceptable.
To sum it up, fixed punishment can prevent some crimes, because people know what the effects will be. In spite of this, I think that punishment should be in direct proportion to the extent of the offence, taking into account motivation and circumstances.