Some people believe that handwriting is no longer useful in the modern world and should not be taught in schools To what extent do you agree or disagree

Some people believe that handwriting is no longer useful in the modern world and should not be taught in schools.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?

With the explosive technology development, it is argued that handwriting is of little utility in modern world so it should not be a component of the current school curriculum. Although techonology has revolutionized the way information is recorded, handwriting skill is still being used in various educational as well as professional settings.

Admittedly, a huge number of today’s documents have been either voiced or typed and stored in computer as this is the best means of keeping evidence of what has been communicated or transferred between people. More importantly, this method helps alleviate the challenges in deciphering illegible handwriting. Therefore, handwritten information has become less prevalent; however, this development cannot completely eliminate the benefits of handwriting in communication. This is evidenced by the fact that employees still rely on notetaking skills during a short meeting where time is at a premium to briefly capture vital information, or in summits between nations, stenographers are required to be exceptionally skilled at shorthand to translate speeches almost instantly.

In terms of educational context, handwriting has been proved to be extremely conducive to students’ attention. Hundreds of studies have repeatedly indicated that taking notes during a lecture enables students to focus on the content and minimize distractions, leading to improved short-term memory – an invaluable asset in today’s world where attention deficit among students is not a rarity. It is also of note that practicing skills such as calligraphy cultivates such desirable qualities as patience and conscientiousness in young children, providing them with the long-term benefits. For these aforementioned reasons, it is not hyperbole to state that writing by hand remains an indispensable skill in modern society.

In conclusion, while the prevalance of handwriting has diminished due to the increasing availability of smart devices, this skill continues to be useful in daily situations where time is of the essence and in education because of the positive effects on cognitve abilities.