Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be

Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

It is popularly believed that scandals have a positive impact on society due to the fact that they are able to attract public's attention in a unique way to grave problems that no politician or reformer ever could. Despite the fact that this viewpoint has some merits, it is only partly correct. In fact, scandals bring harm as well as benefits and its unique possibility to draw our attention is exaggerated.

First of all, scandals indeed sometimes useful and may focus our attantion of grave problems which we tend to ingore or neglect in our everyday life. For instance, such a unpleasant issue as racial discrimination is widely ignored by politicans and public. Elected officials try to create a picture of prosperity and positiveness to please their voters. However, recent scandal which was connected with shooting to death an unarmed African American by a white police officer has focused people's attention on the issur of unfair attitude of police officers to black Americans. This accident led to several demonstrations and protests through our the USA. In fact, scandals are able to attract demos' attention in a specific and unique way to problems which many politicians tend not to see. From this point of view, scandals are useful for a society as a whole.

However, it is mistaken to surmise that scandals bring only positive aftermaths. In reality, scandals often cause a nationwide disagreement and conflicts. In many cases, the most appreciable scandals split society on two parts, as a result, public tend to substitute actual probelm by others. For instance, if we return to our previous example, the demonstrations which were initially aimed on attracting attention of government's figures turned into riots and looting when a large number of African American started to display their discord by breaching the law and rights of other people. Thus, nation which initially supported the African American minority, reacted negatively on the riots and the minority has lost public's support. This example illustrates that scandals may cause public's discord and serve to deteriorate the problem rather than solve it.

In conclusion, despite the fact that scandals may be useful and beneficial for society as a whole owing to the fact that sometimes they may focus our attantion on issues which otherwise would be ignored, the scandals may lead to negative consequences as well. Thus scandals have equivocal and inconsistent nature and estimation them as unquestionable boon is unreasonable.