Environmental problems are too big for individual countries and individual people to address We have reached the stage where the only way to protect the environment is at an international level To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement

Environmental problems are too big for individual countries and individual people to address. We have reached the stage where the only way to protect the environment is at an international level. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

It is appreciated that tackling environmental problems is not feasible for individual countries and individual people, and only at an international level is there a way to resolve environmental issues. From my perspective, I disagree with this statement as confronting environmental issues
is the responsibility of both governments and individuals.

There are many actions an individual can take to help reduce environmental problems. Firstly, instead of driving a car, a person can take the public transport, ride a bicycle, or walk to help reduce carbon emissions, which would reduce air pollution and global warming. Secondly, turning lights off before leaving a room can save a lot of energy produced by burning fossil fuels like coal and oil. For instance, Earth Hour is such a significant global event that millions of people worldwide join in annually with the hope that their action of turning lights off for one hour can make a great impact on the planet. Finally, sorting out and recycling paper can decrease the rate of deforestation, protecting forests—the lungs of Mother Earth.

Some issues such as global warming, air and water pollution and the loss of biodiversity definitely require international intervention. These issues are so enormous that there is simply no way to adequately address these problems without solid commitments from the governments of different countries. The Kyoto Protocol, which was adopted in 1997 with the participation of 84 different countries to put a restriction on greenhouse-gas emissions, is an excellent example of how important international cooperation is in dealing with environmental issues. Nowadays, this protocol continues to have a worldwide effect on protecting nature.

In conclusion, there are good reasons why major environmental problems should mainly rely on governmental and international efforts. Still, in my opinion, the combination of individual and governmental actions would make a more significant impact on the environment.